VenPongal is a Semi Solid dish Usually prepared with Rice and Moong Dal.It is a Common and Popular Breakfast in Tamilnadu.Generally it is Served with Coconut Chutney and Sambhar.But in our side(Chidambaram)we usually Served with Eggplant Ghostu.MeduVada is an Excellent Combination for pongal.It Served as a Special Dish on Occasions like Wedding and also Prasadham during Margazhi Poojas.I Never liked Pongal in my Childhood.
It has been a challenge for my Mother to Make me to eat Pongal.After Marriage only i started to try this dish.Reasons are this can be done Quickly and easily and this is one of My husband's All Time Favorite dish.There are two methods you can prepare this dish,Seasoning After Cooking Rice and Dal and another is Reverse one.I like the Second method only.Because you will get Full flavour in second method.I am sending this one to Priya's RCI-Kongunadu Vegetarian Cuisine.
Moon Dal-1/2 cup
Whole Black Pepper-1 tsp
Green chilli-3(Finely chopped)
Ginger-1/4 inch(Finely chopped)
1. Heat the ghee,add Jeera,pepper,Cashews,Ginger,chilli,Curry leaves and hing.
2. Remove from heat when Cashews are Roasted.
3. Wash rice and Dal,Add 4 cups of water and Required salt.
4. Add the Above mixture with rice and Dal,Mix well.
5. Pressure cook for 10 whistles or keep it in Rice cooker.
6. Once it's cooked mix well and Serve Hot.